Saturday, June 21, 2008

What is Style? (pt II)

Though this has been a short semester, I feel as though I have been in this class for a LONG time. I have learned so much!

I think I have always had an idea on what writing style is, but I definitely got a better understanding of it in much more detail. Style involves much more than composition-- it involves every detail of writing (voice, diction, grammar, etc). There are many things to focus on while writing, which makes this one of the most difficult tasks on the planet.

Style involves a lot of preference. Even at EMU, when taking classes from different professors, I have gotten a lot of very different feedback. For example: this is the first class I have taken in college that I did not ace even one paper. Shocking, right? It really makes you question your ability to write! However, through the books that we read, I learned (in a more elevated tone) that you much be able to mold your writing to others preferences if you want to communicate well and receive good feedback. "Note your audience."

If someone were to ask me what I learned from this class, I would probably talk more about the Technology of writing aspect of it. Style seems pretty clear-cut, and I think it would take me an hour to discuss that. Technology of writing is interesting. People I have already talked to are shocked to hear that a pencil is in fact a technology of writing. We live in an era where technology has become so advanced that simplistic inventions like pens and pencils seem ancient!

This has been a very interesting class. All in all, I feel I learned exactly what I needed to, given the title of the course. Thanks to everyone who helped me throughout the semester!

No comments: